Art Advocacy Minutes Prior 2016

LISD ARTS ADVOCACY |MINUTES

Meeting date | time 2/10/2015 4:15 PM | Meeting location BOLIN ADMINISTRATION BUILDING

Meeting called by

LISD – ARTS ADVOCACY COMMITTEE

Type of meeting

VISUAL ARTS MONTHLY MEETING

Facilitator

MISSEY HEAD

Timekeeper

JOSH FLETCHER

 

 

 

 

Agenda topics

Old Business

● Approve Minutes from January

● Proclamation 2015

○ Bullet Points on the results

● Superintendent’s Art Show

● Faculty Show

● LISD District Art Shows

● Feb. 16th Visual Art In-service

 

New Business

● LISD Community Arts Festival

○ Tammie Turner

■ Town of Flower Mound

○ Committee Members: Carrie Caldarera, Shelly Harper, Wanda Grice, Tammie

Turner, Julie Murdock

● Middle School Art/ Music Equitable Marketing (Lynn)

Tabled Items:

● LISD Visual Arts Website

● Teacher Directory

● Curriculum (formatting/ timeline)

 

Agenda topic: Approve Minutes | Presenter Martin Kruk & Missey Head

Discussion: Marty moved to approve minutes from January.  The committee approved the minutes.

 Agenda topic: Proclamation 2015 | Presenter Martin Kruk

Discussion: Proclamation results: – Bullet point that we need to stick with.  Reason why: (see worksheet)

The group discussed the lack of qualified Vendor

Needs of each classroom – Missey discusses the actuals about the process – More to come at the February 16th Art in-services.

 

 

Agenda topic: Superintendent’s Art Show | Presenter Martin Kruk

Discussion: Kathy– design decision that will affect how long thing will hang.  Need certain materials to hang and mount work.  Metal strips with hooks that hold artwork with fishing line.  Notion was to hang frame and interchange art for different needs. Mixed media materials are making it hard to solve problem. Proposed plexy glass – to mount work versus actual frame. Piece to piece basis – create a set of supplies that works for multiple sizes and mediums. Frameless work approved –

Agenda topic: Faculty Show | Presenter Martin Kruk

Discussion: The Art show looks amazing.  Hanging was not a problem.  Faculty has built an interest in artwork. Building a Visual culture at Bolin. Leaving Faculty Show until Spring Break.  Email will be sent to inform staff of new pick up date. Friday before Spring Break – Friday March 6th.   Schools will meet concerning date to help establish a more cohesive date. Hanging committee will meet after the in-services.

Agenda topic: LISD District Art Shows | Presenter Martin Kruk

Discussion: Missey thanked VAL for the partnership and volunteering her time.  VAL brought up issues with Honorable mentions.  Honorable Mentions received ribbons but not certificates.   The issue was addressed and will be planned for the next art show.   Miscommunications happened about prizes for students.   In the future, certificates will issued for honorable mentions in the future. Middle school Art Show is coming up – Awards banquet is the same night. Missing pieces and pieces turned in without labels – High School should revise rules for the next show.

 

Agenda topic: Feb. 16th Visual Art In-service | Presenter Martin Kruk

Discussion: Feb 16th Davis is coming to speak about the textbooks.  Discussion was brought up about the actual process of Davis attending the in-service.   Materials that Vendors are offering  – schools should put together packages.   We need 2 volunteers from each grade level to speak with the school board about why we are choosing our selected text.   Community assessment will be in the future.

Agenda topic: New Business | Presenter Martin Kruk

Discussion: LISD Community Art Festival – We need to schedule first meeting to begin planning.  We are meeting with the city of Flower Mound to use public services about venues to use.  Chalk this way with VAL – Proposed.  Scholarships, booths and stages to help present a more active timeline. Establish committee and nail down what we actually want to create.  Schedule online versus meeting. People interested in volunteering should contact Marty Kruk. River Walk and Bakersfield. We should speak with other Arts groups to build a even involvement across the board.  Non-Art Staff will be considered to help with the Arts Festival.  Meeting will be set for Mid April.  Board members should attend Chalk this way – May 9th.  Old Town Lewisville We could also begin a shadowing process to learn what we actually need.  (Tents to show work)  Christy Martin will be contacted to line up Chalk This Way. Money raised would go toward professional development for teachers.   Do not want to provide support but not be reimbursed.  The festival would act as training.  Look into tents – Elementary, Middle and High School Flower Mound – Wants to extend the July 4th event due to the success – Oktoberfest etc…..

 

Middle School Art/Music Equitable Marketing – There is a need for visual arts representation to speak to students on the elementary level to build a pyramid into the visual arts.  Visual Art not represented.  Need to establish a recruiting plan.  All committee members should agree upon the plan.  Performing Arts being mixed with Visual – Miscommunication. Need to establish equity across the board.   – Suggestion that the problem is that everyone does recruiting differently.  Might need to establish a refresher course. Principals make rules. – Site based decision. Table the topic of Middle school Art. – Until Missey can reach out to find out more information

 

Tabled Items:

LISD

TEACHER DIRECTORY

CURRICULUM  – NEED TO SUGGEST DATES FOR CURR

 

 

Art Advocacy Committee Meeting

September 10, 2014

 

Janet Cranston

Ross Hines

Lynn Luck

Leslie McReynolds

Marty Kruk

Elizabeth Stroud

Pam Sewell

Kathy Toews

Angel Holmes

Pam Sewell

Alesia Shaw

Missey Head

 

Lettering:  Discussed current LISD Visual Arts Lettering Policy.  Ross Hines and Marty Kruk suggested changing the current language/wording regarding senior students.  At present the policy for senior students who have not been enrolled in art for more than 2 years is vague.

Curriculum:  Curriculum is ready to go live.  Talk to LISD Technology to link to website.

Vase:  VASE dates have not been finalized by the VASE organization.

Junior VASE:  Discussed entry fees for Junior VASE.  Entry fees are paid by a variety of resources.  On some campuses, fees are paid by either the  Art Club, the principal, or the individual student.

Art Show:

The Marcus High School Art Department will serve as the Chair for the LISD District High School Art Show.

Dates for the art show have been sent out to all teachers.  Specific instructions and rules will follow.

Change the name of the LISD “Hanging Committee” to District Gallery Committee.  Contact all current members of the Gallery Committee to serve again this year.

A LISD Faculty Show will be presented at Bolin Admin Center in February.

Chairs and Officer Positions:   Nominations and elections were held for Chair, Communications Officer, and Superintendent’s Art Show Coordinator.

Kathy Toews moved that Marty Kruk serve as Chair and Leslie McReynolds serve as Communications Chair.  Ross Hines seconded the motion.  The motion carried.

Marty Kruk will serve as the incoming Chair, Leslie McReynolds will serve as Communications Chair, and Kathy Toews volunteered to serve as Superintendent’s Art Show Coordinator.  The position of secretary has not been filled at this time.  Position will be filled during the next meeting.

Superintendent’s Monthly Art Show:  A process for selecting work for this show will be created during our next meeting.  We will begin show in November .

Community Involvement:  Committee will begin process for developing community involvement projects.

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

Missey Head

LISD Fine Arts Coordinator

 

 

Art Advocacy Committee Meeting
April 22, 2014

Members present:
Leslie McReynolds
Janet Cranston
Ross Hines
Marty Kruk
Pam Sewell
Missey Head
Nancy Lawrence
Lynn Luck
Alesia Shaw
Angel Holmes
Elizabeth Stroud
Bill Watson

Guest:
Nancy Walkup. She heads NTIEVA at UNT and is the editor of School Arts magazine. She is here to help us plan professional development.

Last meeting’s minutes were accepted.

Titles for middle school art classes were discussed. 6th grade art, 7th and 8th grade art. Downing MS counselors wrote to Missey requesting different names: Beginning Art and Intermediate Art. Downing had their titles officially changed from the ones that this committee developed.

Nancy Lawrence says “Beginning Art” would be confusing. Nancy L. explained scheduling realities of 6th, 7th, and 8th grade art. We want it to be consistent across the district. Different middle schools have different scheduling. Missey will meet with technology and report back to us.

Marty reported on HS curriculum site. Middle school is up to date. HS still has some holes. We need to set a date to have their sites ready–August 25th? Lynn suggested another in-service day.

New Business:
Missey got requests from art teachers that wanted to be removed from LISD Visual Arts list serve emails. Teachers complained that they got emails that didn’t apply to them. We decided that all teachers should get all emails. List serve goes out to all teachers and they should not be able to opt out of emails.

Marty suggested that we devise an approval system for emails sent to all. Should we have designated people for different topics? No decision made.

Missey apologized about the in-service cancellation of April 17. Nancy L. asked why art cannot have specific training. Math and ELA had their own training on 4/17 and Missey said that the person who scheduled the district PD made the decisions about what would be included.

Committee should always come from a positive point and present a unified voice. Individually, we cannot speak for the committee. Elizabeth made the point that her email was sent to a specific recipient then someone else forwarded it to the members of the Visual Arts list serve. This should not be done without the original author’s permission.

In-service for the summer and August:

Nancy Walkup: NTIEVA began as a source for professional development in art education. Nancy W. is offering her services for free to initiate NTIEVAs re-emphasis on PD. She would like to know what we need. Technology and assessment are two areas that NTIEVA focuses on.

Missey explained trade days–we can trade a summer day for fall trade days. The only day that we have for training as a district in February 17.

Bill Watson came in to speak about trade days. Mike Brown is a design coach for Fine Arts and created FA trade days. Bill said he has held courses on technology that would be suited for fine arts. Mike Brown has done things with Garage Band for music teachers.

Bill asked who has iPads. Lynn said she doesn’t have one and can’t be expected to teach using iPads without having one.

Bill explained summer plans for Fine Arts. We are not meeting together until February 17. We have to do what everyone else does. August 15 is a day off for those who attended trade days. Fine Arts are not allowed to do something different.

Marty said there are three 6-hour workshop times to fill. Nancy W. would like to do 3 hour ones. We have the option to set up specific trainings in the summer only. This has to be done by tomorrow. Nancy W. suggests having all of the different levels on the same day and offer different choices.

August 13, 8:30-11:30 Nancy W. can do an introduction then we could split into elementary, middle, and high school levels for: Design Thinking, The Art of Design, STEAM, Assessment, 21st century Skills, Interdisciplinary connections, and the Direction of Art Education were some possibilities. On Feb 17 we might do the breakout sessions when we understand more about the topics?

Marty can do a secondary session on e-portfolios and Leslie can do one for elementary. Will use Bolin and Niche?

Nancy W. can do something different in June or offer the same thing twice. Leslie can do her session on August 6 in the morning. She needs a computer lab.

June 17, Nancy W. is available.
August 5, Marty will conduct Narratives in Clay and August 6 Google sites in the secondary classroom.

Nancy L. suggested that we talk with Eric Orr about presenting and asked how we could get a designated date for art next year. Missey said it would depend on who the new person over professional development will be.

Missey brought up possibility of lettering for art. Need to create committee for lettering in art. We would need the high school teachers to serve on that.

Objectives for TEKS. Missey got email asking about TEKS on demonstrating technical skills for her students. Nancy W. served on the state TEKS committee. She said that if it says “such as,” then it’s a choice, but if it says “including,” then it is required. Final copy of TEKS is hard to find.

Missey began the discussion about art show rules.

An art teacher emailed that art created outside of school should be included in the district art show and we said that the work needs to be created under the direction of the teacher. Teachers can have shows at their school with work created outside of the classroom. The teacher has to be able to say the student made the work under our supervision. Secondary has to make an oath for competitions.

District art show will be specific to work created as a result of a lesson conducted by the art teacher during the school day.

Need to talk about communication. How to communicate? Monthly newsletter? Will discuss further art show rules next time.

Feb. 14 projected date for VASE next year
District art show for high school Jan. 26-30 before VASE. Delivered on Jan. 20

March 9-13 is Spring Break in 2015.

Middle school can set up March 24, Opening on 3/27, show ends April 6.

Then one elementary show will set up after that on April 7, Opening on April 10, then take down on the 20th.

Second elementary zone sets up on April 21,
Opening on the 24, then take down on May 4.

Art Advocacy Committee Meeting

March 19, 2014

 

Janet Cranston

Missey Head

Bill Watson

Ross Hines

Lynn Luck

Leslie McReynolds

Nancy Lawrence

Marty Kruk

Crystal Nelson

Elizabeth Stroud

Bill Watson

Kathy Toews

 

Discussed MCL Grand gallery walls and the MCL Grand’s preference for show scheduling. Leslie suggested faculty art show in between other shows. They don’t want to worry about the walls in between shows.

Lynn asked the secondary teachers to define the goals of the high school art show. Kathy said it is a competitive show–timing precludes entry of VASE pieces.

Dates- secondary second semester students are not often included. Marty suggested keeping work from spring to hang in next years show. Marty said that the dates need to stay where they are to be compatible with VASE.

 

Elementary and middle school –include best work and work that represents all students. Not competitive. Kathy suggested second high school show for Art I and 9th graders.

 

Could faculty show be at Bolin? We need to spread out our show for 8 weeks. Need to talk with MCL Grand representative. We separated into elementary and secondary to discuss art show rules. Missey will call MCL Grand and discuss scheduling possibilities for next year.

Elementary reported back to Missey and Crystal. Leslie and Crystal will be entering our suggestions into the Google Docs form athttps://docs.google.com/a/staff.lisd.net/document/d/1piHnJFk-NsC-qWycON0eLPEJOYDeyZc1EWn0C38QV7U/edit

We will produce a document with the LISD Art Show purpose and rules for all levels in the near future.

 

Art Advocacy Committee Meeting

February 18, 2014

Members present:

Janet Cranston

Missey Head

Ross Hines

Lynn Luck

Leslie McReynolds

Nancy Lawrence

Marty Kruk

Crystal Nelson

Elizabeth Stroud

Alesia Shaw

Pam Sewell

Angel Holmes

 

Crystal welcomed us. Trying to stay on time according to norms.

Missey spoke with the person in charge of course names. A counselor received an email discussing course names, but no one knows anything else about it. Not using “Art I” in middle school to alleviate confusion between high school Art I–not the same course.

VAL update. They gave money to the high school district art show winners. We need to define our relationship with them so they do more than write checks. They gave $50 for all the first place finishers.

Website. Meeting minutes are on website now. Elementary and middle school are ready to go. High school is still working. Marty anticipates being ready at the end of the summer. Middle school met yesterday and got a lot of work done on the website.

Jr. VASE survey–need to know who goes to Jr. VASE. Discussed middle school teachers who planned to go or not. New fine arts assessment will include Jr. VASE. Principals will lose points for their school if their art teacher does not participate. Helps a student prepare for HS VASE and legitimizes visual arts programs. Over half of LISD middle schools will participate this year.

Art show dates. Limited by availability of MCL Grand. Dates were sent out last year and no one complained. Teachers didn’t know that they could oppose dates. What dates would work best for district art show? Will have calendar from MCL Grand in April meeting. Elementary teachers do not see their students enough to have sufficient amount of work for early shows. Second semester secondary kids are also underrepresented. Elementary cannot be in February. They require us to show in succession because they have to prepare walls. Middle school is wondering if they should leave the boards up for elem.

Discussed staff development over the summer and for the fall. April 17 is also a professional development day. Leslie would like to create a survey to gather info. What are our needs for Prof. Dev.? Leslie spoke with Nancy Walkup about NTIEVA and possibilities for Prof. Dev.

New Business

Update rules for LISD art shows. High school teachers need to meet and make sure everyone’s needs and concerns are addressed. Not enough HS reps on committee so they may need to form a committee and meet. Marty explained the need to reconsider rules because they may not be relevant now. Purpose to advocate and promote our students’ art–have we gotten away from that purpose? What do we want this to look like? What will benefit students the most? Missey suggested we ask: Is the structure we have working for today and the future? We need to do this in the spring.

Next advocacy meeting we should have a meeting set for the art show rules committee. Every school should have a representative at this meeting. Missey suggested we use the next advocacy meeting to come up with the rules. Elem. should consult with hanging committee.

Our next meeting is March 18.

Missey discussed purposes of committee. Importance of staying on topic. What have we accomplished? Curriculum, website, hanging committee, art in Admin. Buildings. Timber Creek admin bldg. thrilled with art installations. Missey wants something in Superintendent’s and Bill Watson’s offices. How can we get our principals to come to the art show?

Missey developed list of things we need to accomplish. Elizabeth discussed the need for more communication, newsletter, establishing presence. How do we do it? Minutes on our website. Remind them who the committee members are. Who our representatives are? So we know whom to contact if we have issues or concerns. Maybe we just do it on the website. Will help get teachers to the website. Alesia suggested a blog. Marty said that this is a big job to manage a blog. Add email link to names. We need a proposal form for teachers to submit. Marty will do that. Leslie will work on newsletter. Elizabeth will add email links and divide them according to level.

Marty suggested need to establish relationship with VAL. They want us to be members. Nancy suggested VAL could have a cheap student membership then they could enter an open art show. She has talked to Wanda. Missey discussed the need to determine their purpose. They could have an art show that is open to all students. Marty asked what other art guilds/associations we could work with. VAL uses the MCL Grand. It is not their space. Missey will find out more about how VAL works with the MCL.

Leslie wants to revisit faculty art show. Several teachers would like to have it at the MCL. Missey suggested Bolin faculty art show.

In new House Bill 5 assessment there is a community component. What qualifies? Leslie and Marty suggested two different projects. The community component is under Fine Arts.

Leslie asked about possibility of permanent art installation at Timber Creek. Lynn suggested a competition for a public art installation.

Missey suggested teaming up with other Fine Arts. Art in the park. Pop up tent could display or sell their art. Could have a Renaissance fair in an outdoor space. Music and theater combined. Nancy suggested PTA could sell water, etc. possibly 2-3 years down the road. Athletic departments might have tents.

Consent forms for showing student art work on internet/website. Artwork can be shown without a name. Leslie shared that the new AUP form gives permission to show student faces on Internet.

 

Art Advocacy Committee Meeting
January 14, 2014

Members present:
Missey Head
Marty Kruk
Ross Hines
Pam Sewell
Kathy Toews
Angel Holmes
Lynn Luck
Leslie McReynolds
Alesia Shaw
Nancy Lawrence
Bill Watson
Wanda Grice, VAL
Janet Cranston

Elizabeth Stroud

 

Missey introduced the norms for our committee. Marty talked about how they were created and why. They were developed at FMHS for their fine art PLC and these can be changed to suit our purposes.

Clear and collaborative agenda with stated start and end times.
Listen respectfully without interruption.
Do not monopolize the conversation. Allow others due time to respond.
No negativity, honor each other’s strengths, opinions, and contributions.
Be willing to offer creative and dynamic solutions to problems.

We agreed to accept the above norms as they are written.

Wanda Grice from the Visual Art League of Lewisville was our guest. They are located at MCL Grand now. They would like to work with the art teachers for opportunities to exhibit our work, give students chances to work with theater programs such as in making sets. They do art trading cards, collaborative work, and have multiple shows throughout the year–18 yrs. and older and teachers.  They also exhibit at a restaurant and a bank. She brought info on joining VAL. We discussed the district art show and Wanda mentioned the possibility of helping out financially.

Kathy said that we should improve communication between art teachers and VAL and Wanda agreed. Marty discussed scheduling, prizes, and changes in contact people.

Missey is acting as chairperson since Crystal can’t be here today.

Minutes from last meeting were accepted.

Missey looked over past meeting minutes and wanted to address things we had not yet decided. She sent the info. about course description/titles but hasn’t heard back yet.

We discussed the mission statement. We all like it and accepted it as it was written in the minutes of the last meeting.

LISD Visual Art Website report from Marty. Elementary curriculum sites look very good and are on schedule. Middle schools working on it. High school not quite there yet. We need time to work on it but we don’t have any in-services coming up.

How do we wrap this up and pull in the other schools that need to complete their sites? Nancy suggested that we meet together and we discussed the possibility of an August district in-service for this purpose.

Kathy mentioned that Marcus is requiring continuing ed/in-service hours throughout the year. Other schools are not required to do this yet even though some teachers are meeting as a PLC.

Other methods of putting the website together for secondary were discussed.  Now they have about 30% complete. Marty suggested coming up with solutions and cautioned that we should not wait until August.

Elementary is ready to publish with exception of a few schools. We need to discuss it at next meeting. Pam suggested communicating the expectations of what they should have ready in August.

HS VASE: All schools are participating and Missey is sending survey to see who is participating in Junior VASE. Nancy suggested that middle school teachers need some help or time to set it up. Perhaps a contact person to help the teachers? Marty suggested that HS teachers could help the feeder schools.

Junior VASE–transition time needed before requiring everyone to participate. Perhaps a year or two needed. Marty said VASE is a necessary evil, but it is important and is an expectation from administrators.

Missey discussed House Bill 5 and the new assessments of our schools based on participation in outside programs.

Leslie asked if the district could cover membership fees. Teachers are required to pay for their own membership costs. Kathy suggested talking to principals to see if he/she would pay. More discussion about VASE and how to pay for it. Theater and other fine arts programs do not have to pay their own membership fees.

Return to past ideas–exhibiting work in admin buildings is going well. There is more room at Timber Creek for display. There is room for two schools to exhibit simultaneously at Timber Creek.

Lynn suggested having district art show later in year to allow more students to participate. Elementary sees their students so few times that it is not allowing much time to produce the work. Elementary could be later in the year and doesn’t have to be in succession; however, MCL grand has to re-prep walls after show so we may have to keep it the same.

Faculty Art show: Missey suggested that we exhibit in the summer at the admin. Bldg. Discussion about safety of work and how the work will be monitored. Kathy suggested opening it up to all teachers in district not just art teachers. Could be interesting.

Wanda Grice suggested that collaboration is possible and gave us some encouragement to follow through with this. She has sold work and thinks that teachers will be interested in exhibiting their work possibly at the MCL Grand.

Missey proposed that we set up committees or determine how to move forward with the faculty art show. No further action was taken.

There are many possibilities for Community service projects. Leslie suggested that we are not ready for this. Perhaps this year is more for generating ideas and establishing our roles. Maybe we should address the community in our feeder system. Small things first and then work into more. We need to work on relationships and getting to know each other.

Marcus does a Fine Arts “Art Beat” with other programs. They could expand it to include their feeder schools.

How we want to structure this committee? Lynn suggested that we could get business days to visit other schools in our feeder system.

Bill Watson said we are going to establish expectations outside the school day for fine arts teachers. Assessment/expectations will include student engagement, community/events, and what we do outside the school day, clubs, community partnerships, etc. This information will be used to determine ratings (exemplary, recognized, etc.). No stipends for art teachers–they are setting expectations for what events we should be doing. This will help principals determine what is fair for their teachers to do.

Every school will have their own individual rating in the new system. The district will have its own rating system.

Paint is in warehouse that can be used by secondary teachers, not students. Lots of paint left. She would like for us to take it.

Missey needed to talk to high school teachers separately.

 

December 17, 2013

Meeting of the Advocacy Committee

Members present:

Marty Kruk

Missey Head

Kathy Toews

Crystal Nelson

Nancy Lawrence

Pam Sewell

Lynn Luck

Alesia Shaw

Elizabeth Stroud

Crystal began by discussing the minutes of last meeting. Made reference to documents on Google Docs. May not be able to produce mission statement at this point.

Middle school needs to discuss course titles today. High school catalogs came out today. Course catalog should say required fee or a fee is required. Some catalogs say that there might be a fee.

Nancy asked PTA for scholarships. Site-based decision specific for the school.

Leslie’s ideas were shared in Google Docs. Crystal suggested visiting art teachers in different zones to inspire us to produce better work.

Lynn brought up Leslie’s idea that principals might give up business days for us to observe peers in Jan. or February. Crystal read Leslie’s suggestions in her Google Docs letter.

Marty suggested we use terminology/approach of “a day with PLC”. Our PLCs are off campus. It worked for him at Flower Mound. Feeder middle schools visited HS teachers and discussed Art I curriculum. Our PLC looks different than other content areas. We need to write something up.

Missey could set it up in Eduphoria. Leslie was talking about observing teachers but it could be used for different purposes. Missey suggested sending a letter saying our PLC looks different then we will need to complete an observation form.

Kathy gave comparisons from band, athletics, choir and how HS visits middle schools and middle school visits elementary. Need to put together package to present. Other content areas are leaving campus for competitions, performances, etc.

Missey will work on putting together a package with different components that need to be considered.

Leslie discussed importance of peer observations and how beneficial a visit in another classroom was for her. How is this working on different campuses? Similar to Trend walkthroughs. Possibility for aggregation of data. May collect information to find out what is happening.

Missey is handling the details for the PLC visits/observations/meetings. Leslie will send a peer observation form from her school.

Crystal suggested working on mission statement. We have pulled things together from other advocacy groups. Steffie Brouillette’s correlation of principles of design and strategic design was discussed and we thought it might be useful as goals.

Crystal read through working copy of mission statement in Google Docs. Personal growth, growing, building. Promoting our programs to? Strategic design needs to be included. Several say it’s too long. Maybe we could turn these into goals? It should be quick and to the point.

Crystal asked for help to put together mission statement. Kathy offered to help. Go Kathy

Smaller groups–mission statement, curriculum, middle school course titles. We don’t want the work done on the curriculum to die. Everyone should be contributing to their own curriculum. We will talk about the state of the curriculum website next time.

Mission statement: create, support, collaborate, promote.

We broke into separate groups.

PLC days off is principal’s decision.

Discussed use of Google Docs to work.

I worked in group to refine Mission Statement and this is our working copy

The LISD Art Advocacy committee will give voice to and support the Art Educators in promoting meaningful learning for our students through the visual arts, strengthening relationships through collaboration in the community, forming a cohesive network for the art educators across all levels, and encouraging the art faculty to become innovative campus leaders.

We presented this and discussed.

Marty suggested adding an arts advocacy page to the curriculum website. We could post the minutes. Missey made the point that we need to be transparent and be open to what our colleagues need. Marty will talk to Carrie about managing the curriculum website.

Leslie wants to be more informed about what is happening on the other levels. We cannot advocate for our students and teachers when we don’t have more information.

We need more awareness and knowledge about what others are doing. We can’t fight for things if we don’t know about it.

Do we need to create a timeline for the curriculum website?

What about a newsletter?

Can we share minutes of meeting with all art educators in district?

Can send out ideas for agenda before our meetings?

Do we need to have a form?

Suggestion– send out mission statement to others and respond to ideas. Email all in mass through Missey. How do we want to organize?

Should we send out a survey to collect information?

Feb. inservice questions? Will deal with next year.

 

Art Advocacy Meeting

November 12, 2013

First meeting of the LISD Art Advocacy Committee

Members present:

Missey Head

Crystal Nelson

Elizabeth Stroud

Leslie McReynolds

Ross Hines

Pam Sewell

Lynn Luck

Marty Kruk

Kathy Toews

Alesia Shaw

Nancy Lawrence

Angel Holmes

 

Time was changed to 4:15 for future meetings. Dates discussed for future meetings.

Crystal Nelson elected chairperson of committee.

Elizabeth Stroud elected secretary.

Need to develop mission statement. What are our issues?

Leslie acknowledged the need to work on relationship building due to so much turnover. For example, we could share materials about our individual show openings. Others suggested a newsletter to improve communication.

Need to promote ourselves more effectively was discussed.

Kathy suggested steamroller art, community project, multiple level students, many schools. Giant print is made from wood. Each school gets a print. Look at video on YouTube.

Missey discussed the importance of advocacy and promoting visual arts in our district. Hanging art in Bolin and Timber Creek is underway. Most months are booked. Discussed hanging methods.

Sub committees. How to start? We need a list of teachers and schools with photo of teachers to promote better communication.

Faculty art show is a possibility. Location discussion. MCL grand or Bolin?

Marty brought up issues with titles of classes in secondary. Art I misused by counselors, students, and teachers. Problem that all middle schools don’t have 6th grade art. Art I is a high school course. Especially a source of confusion for 6 and 7th grade art.

Committee needs to determine middle school level consensus, then present to counselors, principals. Curriculum committee? No one is listening. Need a solution. Missey will talk to curriculum person. Need common vocabulary. Perhaps different set ups at different school are confusing. What steps to follow? Crystal will send email to middle school art teachers and report back.

Do we want to connect the visual arts website to the LISD website yet? Secondary needs more time to get their sites ready.

Lynn mentioned that grades are showing up differently on report cards. Lynn got email from technology. Tried to unify art grades with other grades. Is that the best for us?

Discussed what to do on campus training days/in service. We could do something more useful for art teachers. Art teachers PLC instead of making us sit through campus training was considered.

What is our mission statement? Alliance building, promoting visual arts, supporting art educators. Crystal will send out suggestions and let others have input.

Crystal will have names of courses in middle school by next week. She will send out mission statement in progressKathy discussed the way our high school courses are divided by painting, drawing, etc. Other districts may be following the TEKs for each grade.

New TEKS minor changes. New TEKS still not in Eduphoria.

Next meeting Dec. 10 at 4:15 pm